Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 254 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 am
Latest topics
» EDH Regular casual Game
5/18 - C&M EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 am by rock.strongbow

» Places to play EDH in Philly
5/18 - C&M EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 am by rock.strongbow

» Looking to get into Magic
5/18 - C&M EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm by Bigc215

» So when can I play someone?
5/18 - C&M EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:32 pm by nick.martin.144734

» Legacy Needs
5/18 - C&M EmptyTue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm by Bigc215

» James's No Rare Cube
5/18 - C&M EmptyFri May 24, 2013 10:29 am by intrinsic

» Yavimaya Hollow
5/18 - C&M EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 am by idTAPthat

» Alumni of "MtG Sunday" Comic Book Theater on Passyunk Ave.
5/18 - C&M EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 am by idTAPthat

» Ravnica foils needed - have dual lands and more to trade
5/18 - C&M EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 am by PatrickR

5/18 - C&M

+3
Zuty
Uniclonus
MidniteEffort
7 posters

Go down

5/18 - C&M Empty 5/18 - C&M

Post  MidniteEffort Tue May 18, 2010 10:57 am

i'll be there
MidniteEffort
MidniteEffort

http://www.last.fm/user/GetMilesEnd

Back to top Go down

5/18 - C&M Empty Re: 5/18 - C&M

Post  Uniclonus Tue May 18, 2010 2:44 pm

I was wanting to go today, but something's come up that I need to deal with, so I shant be going.

Uniclonus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Tue May 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Awesome time tonight. I had shitty pulls and a deck that was so bad I think it may have given me cancer, but I had fun and finally got to tell my ex off when I saw her there before the draft.

Got a free pack cause my last round the opponent dropped. Pulled a Misty Rainforest (my first pain land :3 ) and a foil Bala Ged Thief which John said he wants for his Ally/Changeling big deck.

WTF was up with that one indian dude talking shit and yelling at that asian kid? I was about ready to punch that guy in the face for being such an arrogant asshole.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Tue May 18, 2010 10:51 pm

To my understanding:

Jim (the Asian dude) made a trade with someone that was strongly in his favor. Vishu (the Indian dude) either saw it or heard about it and pointed out to the recipient of the bad trade that he had gotten ripped. Jim heard this and denied it. An argument ensued.

Jim wouldn't let it go and kept telling Vishu and everyone else that the trade was fair. Nobody was really buying it. Jim still wouldn't let it go and accused Vishu of trying to beat Jim to an unfair trade. Vishu eventually ignored him, and Jim for the rest of the night kept telling Vishu and the guy he had traded with that it was actually a fair trade.

Myself, I've had negative interactions with each of them in the past, so I can see their both being jerks. Vishu has made his share of unfair trades, and Jim was the one at the prerelease who wanted to get my foil Sprouting Thrinax really cheap since "Jund isn't really played anymore." But Vishu was making more sense, if being a little obnoxious in calling Jim on it. And Jim just wasn't letting it go.

What you all missed after you left:

In the final round, Jim accused his opponent of drawing an extra card. After the cards were all counted to make sure it was even, Jim kept pushing it, using the logic "I saw he had 2 cards last turn, then he had 4." (did you ask how many cards he had? No, but I saw it was 2; I'm very observant).

And then after that was done, Jim turns to the guy who he had ripped off earlier in the night and says "I saw your friend who was here earlier had a Jace the Mind Sculptor in his binder. Could I have his phone number? I'm playing in a tournament and I want to BORROW it." Everyone's jaw dropped. As I left, he was still begging the guy for his friend's phone number.

Very entertaining.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

http://www.neonandshy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Tue May 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Lol, yeah I was praying not to be in Mr. Asian Invasions pod. He takes so fucking long drafting and he sucks the fun out of the room, but that Mr. Curry guy ... He just looks like a fucking tool ...

I still have 6 more tops if anyone is interesting. I am looking through my stuff for Counterbalances. Traded one today, had no idea it was worth so much.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  dark burn Tue May 18, 2010 11:56 pm

sounds like I missed an eventful night tonight

dark burn

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Wed May 19, 2010 7:31 am

Zuty wrote:Lol, yeah I was praying not to be in Mr. Asian Invasions pod. He takes so fucking long drafting and he sucks the fun out of the room, but that Mr. Curry guy ... He just looks like a fucking tool ...

There's no need for racial epithets. Toolishness discussion is fine, but that's just unnecessary.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MidniteEffort Wed May 19, 2010 8:23 am

seconded. no need for racism.

i'm not taking Vishu's side here, but that Jim guy is weird and annoying too. Vishu's cutthroat play style and general dismissiveness are indicative of the environment at AU, and serve as the reason i no longer patronize AU. i think i can tolerate Jim's sort of player more than i can Vishu's.

meanwhile over in our pod, my 3rd round opponent and i decided on splitting the final, and the 80's suit guy got all butthurt about it. what's the deal with splitting? is it moral?

by the way, the core group at C&M are REALLY nice guys, and this place is closest to DC in that regard.
MidniteEffort
MidniteEffort

http://www.last.fm/user/GetMilesEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Wed May 19, 2010 9:03 am

They are nice guys. One of these Sundays, I'll have to bring in the cube and see if anyone is interested. I'll let you know when.

I was trying to trade with one of the employees there for a foil Cruel Ultimatum, and after not finding anything in my binder, they just offered it to me, saying it was the "store copy." I don't know what that means or why it made sense, but I declined. They run drafts for $9.99, pay out 8-4-2-2; I don't need to take anything else from them.

MidniteEffort wrote:i think i can tolerate Jim's sort of player more than i can Vishu's.

Just wait until Jim tries to convince you that Baneslayers are worthless.

"Yeah, what do you put that at? Huh, that seems high. It's not really played in anything anymore. I'll trade you this Serra Angel for it. I can see that card really going up in value. No? Ok, how about I buy it from you. I think $15 is about right for it. I mean, it's in a core set, so it should be worth less."

I can tolerate him as long as I can laugh at his feeble attempts to justify his actions. By the end of the night, he sounded so desperate, trying to convince that guy that he hadn't ripped him off. It sounded more like he was trying to convince himself.

I respect Vishu's play style and skill, though I've had some dickish interactions with him. I agree, that whole attitude of dismissiveness is really obnoxious. He just happened to make more sense last night.

And remember, the final rule. Trading is between 2 people. Both of the people involved were responsible for getting a bad deal. I don't particularly approve of Vishu's getting involved (unless someone asked him specifically how much that cards were worth; I don't know if that happened, or Vishu saw it and volunteered the information). And some trades that are at a financial imbalance are still good trades (or so I tell myself). I trade higher for certain foils because they're hard to come by, even if the secondary market disagrees. I recently overtraded for a foil Mindslaver, but come on, it's a foil Mindslaver! As long as both parties are happy with the trade when it happens, it's all good.

Last edited by Slyphidine on Wed May 19, 2010 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  John.the_walker Wed May 19, 2010 9:53 am

Good Times!
John.the_walker
John.the_walker

Back to top Go down

Post  John.the_walker Wed May 19, 2010 10:00 am

I don't have any problems with Vishu, nor do I dislike Jim, I think the whole situation was hilarious. I think Jim is a little weird. but everyone has their own quirks, and Vishu has more than most. If I were about to be ripped off, I would appreciate someone letting me know.
John.the_walker
John.the_walker

Back to top Go down

Post  intrinsic Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 am

Vishu is an ok guy, but he definitely counts himself in the hierarchy of local magic players and carries that attitude around with him.
I can recall beating him at both Dimensions as well as a pre release even after i made some subpar play decisions or faild to remember an activation or 2 and he made no effort to hide his disgust at losing to someone he clearly thought was a "lesser" player/

He didnt know about the Thursday night playgroup that used to play at Drexel (and now play at Redcaps) and when i gave him the time and place info for the gathering he was extra thankful when he showed up for an event there.
When it comes to his trading, he typically has decent values for cards, he just always tries to trade up. Perhaps he was doing that person a favor by speaking up, or perhaps he was just pissed he didnt get to the guppy first.

intrinsic

Back to top Go down

Post  dark burn Wed May 19, 2010 4:58 pm

He was pissed he didnt get to the guppy first. He lets people know when they have made bad trades after they make the trade. He explains why it was bad and warns the person to watch out for bad trades in the future. He does this because he hopes to look like the good guy, and gain another connection in the magic community.

dark burn

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Wed May 19, 2010 7:54 pm

dark burn wrote:He was pissed he didnt get to the guppy first. He lets people know when they have made bad trades after they make the trade. He explains why it was bad and warns the person to watch out for bad trades in the future. He does this because he hopes to look like the good guy, and gain another connection in the magic community.

^That

I barely know the guy, but just from the way he was acting and trying to take the reigns of the entire situation and make himself look good I knew his type.

The only issue I have with Jim is that he takes FOREVER drafting, but he seems like a fast talker that tries to get cards for next to nothing. Hell, if someone told me he tricked someone into giving him a Baneslayer for free I would not be surprised. He was the one at the release talking about the foil Sarkhan the Mad he pulled and was already trying to price it WAY to high.

But I am sure Mr. Vishu does the same thing. He probably doesn't talk as loud or as fast as Jim, but I do remember him as one of the dealers at some pre or release event I was at and he was an asshole on prices. That was back when I didn't know shit about pricing on cards (not saying I do know, Couterbalance is 8 bucks? Should have knew that sooner ...) and even then I was like 'Why are you buying it for so cheap and selling it for so much?' then he'd try and work his magic on me, but it would make no sense. 'Oh well this card is not in high demand since the set just came out so pricing them is blahblahblahblahblah.' 'Well then why is it 20 bucks in your display and you are offering me 3?'

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum