Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 254 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 am
Latest topics
» EDH Regular casual Game
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 am by rock.strongbow

» Places to play EDH in Philly
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 am by rock.strongbow

» Looking to get into Magic
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm by Bigc215

» So when can I play someone?
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:32 pm by nick.martin.144734

» Legacy Needs
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyTue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm by Bigc215

» James's No Rare Cube
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyFri May 24, 2013 10:29 am by intrinsic

» Yavimaya Hollow
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 am by idTAPthat

» Alumni of "MtG Sunday" Comic Book Theater on Passyunk Ave.
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 am by idTAPthat

» Ravnica foils needed - have dual lands and more to trade
Motivation to get involved with judging... EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 am by PatrickR

Motivation to get involved with judging...

5 posters

Go down

Motivation to get involved with judging... Empty Motivation to get involved with judging...

Post  intrinsic Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:12 am

Kinda old news, but some of you may have not seen this
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/73a

If you dont feel like reading just scroll down through the judge promos available.

intrinsic

Back to top Go down

Motivation to get involved with judging... Empty Re: Motivation to get involved with judging...

Post  Zuty Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:52 am

I've always, and still want, to be a MTG judge. The issue I have is time and not knowing a judge to give me the test.

One of my fondest MTG memories was right when Mirrodin came out and I went to my first draft at Infinite Quest. I didn't go with anyone and I felt like everyone was against me since I was new to drafting and still new to the game. Players started making rude comments to me (one of them including that cunt ass motherfucker dorian) and no one helped me, they all took advantage that I was new and beat the shit out of me. After my second game the person I played said "Wow kid, you suck. You should just give up playing Magic." and I got so upset I started crying and ran out of the place. While I was sitting out front (I had another hour before my ride would be there, no cellphone for the win) I got so pissed off that I started punching the pavement and my hands were all bloody. The judge of the draft came outside and he talked to me and made sure if I was okay. He was the only nice person there. Before he went in he told me, and I will never forget this for as long as I live:

"If you are passionate about something, go for it. Have fun with what you do, being the best at doing it is a plus too, but I have gone to tournaments and lost every game I played and I have gone to tournaments and won every game I played. Win or lose, I had the same level of fun. Or tried to at least. In the end, it is just a game and there will be another game to play."

I never got his name and I never saw him again at IQ, but ever since then I wanted to be a judge.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Motivation to get involved with judging... Empty Re: Motivation to get involved with judging...

Post  Slyphidine Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:14 am

Infinite Quests was awful. For the drafts they used to have there, they would not only redraft the rares at the end, but they pulled them out in the beginning so "no one would steal them." So imagine doing drafts without any rares. Booooring! On top of that, they were the same price as regular drafts.

The place smelled like urine, and when I went to the bathroom once, I saw that someone had pissed all over the floor. There were lots of arrogant people there who had no idea how to play the game (and a few who did). I used to go there because I couldn't find other places to play.

I did my first draft at that time too, over at AU. I drafted so horribly. I played the guy I ended up passing to in the first round, and played a creature that let me see my opponent's hand. After he revealed 3 Arrests, I pretty much conceded and left.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

http://www.neonandshy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dark burn Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:06 pm

Im pretty good friends with one of the best judges in the area. His name is Nick D. and he head judges the major ptqs and events around here. If anyone is really interested, I can get his contact info for you.

dark burn

Back to top Go down

Post  MidniteEffort Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:51 pm

yea, i still am. ugh. i dunno, i need a new place to play.
MidniteEffort
MidniteEffort

http://www.last.fm/user/GetMilesEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:18 pm

MidniteEffort wrote:i need a new place to play.

Quoted for truth.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum