Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 254 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 am
Latest topics
» EDH Regular casual Game
You Fix the Card EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 am by rock.strongbow

» Places to play EDH in Philly
You Fix the Card EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 am by rock.strongbow

» Looking to get into Magic
You Fix the Card EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm by Bigc215

» So when can I play someone?
You Fix the Card EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:32 pm by nick.martin.144734

» Legacy Needs
You Fix the Card EmptyTue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm by Bigc215

» James's No Rare Cube
You Fix the Card EmptyFri May 24, 2013 10:29 am by intrinsic

» Yavimaya Hollow
You Fix the Card EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 am by idTAPthat

» Alumni of "MtG Sunday" Comic Book Theater on Passyunk Ave.
You Fix the Card EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 am by idTAPthat

» Ravnica foils needed - have dual lands and more to trade
You Fix the Card EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 am by PatrickR

You Fix the Card

4 posters

Go down

You Fix the Card Empty You Fix the Card

Post  Zuty Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:28 pm

This is something some of you may have seen or some of you may even do this. There are so many Magic cards out there, but not every card can be a Jitte, or a Black Lotus, or Necropotence, or Sol Ring, ... You get the point. For every good card, there is a bad card and these cards can either be few and far between in a set or make up an entire set. YFTC is simple, I will post a card and players will submit a fix to the card to make it more useful; you don't need to aim for Black Lotus status for a card, just making a card more playable or flavorful is good enough. Let me just lay down some rules first.

Rules:

1. Once a week I will post a card to be fixed Like I said before, this does not mean the card needs to become AMAZING and UNSTOPPABLE; making it playable is enough. You also do not need to be a rules guru to fix a card, but you do need to make a balanced card. Look at other existing cards to get an idea how balance is made if you don't already know.

2. SUBMISSIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT AND INCLUDE ALL RELEVANT INFORMATION:

Card Name – Mana Cost
Card Type – Subtype (if applicable)
Mechanics
Flavor Text
Power/Toughness

Any of these (safe the card name) can be changed on the card to "fix" it. Gonna boost the Power? Go ahead. Change up the mana cost to a different, more fitting color or cost? Be my guest. Add/Remove/Redo flavor text? Of course. But these changes must be balanced and must be appropriate for the card.

3. Rarity CAN NOT be changed. Don't think you can just waltz in here, change the rarity, and have a fixed card. That doesn't change anything; the card is still broken and it needs to be fixed and balanced according to it's rarity.

4. No adding block-specific mechanics. If I toss up a card from Legends to be fixed, don't give it Bushido or Morph. Neither of those abilities were around during Legends. The same goes for giving Horsemanship to a card from Mirrodin; yeah the ability has been around, but no other card in the Mirrodin block has it. Obviously the more common abilities are allowed (Flying, Trample, Haste, etc.)

5. One post per submission, but you may edit your submission before the final date. I don't want to see several submissions you have for a card, just give me one and, please for the love of God, keep the post nice and organized. You may post feedback about other submissions.

6. Lastly, have fun with it. If you think that a card should be a different card type, color, or cost go right ahead. If you would rather see Kyren Sniper as an Enchantment, go right ahead and let's see if it works. Same goes for making Aluren a creature. (Hey, they did it with Vineyard in Future Sight)

----------------

So there you have it, the rules have been posted and the game is underway. I look forward to your submissions and wish you all the best of luck.

This weeks card is ... Saprazzan Raider

You Fix the Card 102

Submissions end Thursday March 18th at Midnight. New card will be up on March 19th ASAP.

~Zuty

Last edited by Zuty on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

You Fix the Card Empty Re: You Fix the Card

Post  Zuty Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Bump ...

Any takers?

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  MidniteEffort Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14 am

Saprazzan Raider
2U
Common
Creature - Merfolk Rogue
When Saprazzan Raider becomes blocked, return it and all creatures blocking it to their owners' hands.
2/1

P/T switch and symmetrical bounce makes this guy a nice little tempo stall/clock.
MidniteEffort
MidniteEffort

http://www.last.fm/user/GetMilesEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:16 am

I guess no one else was interested in this, huh? Sad

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:47 pm

I tried, Mike. I got a little too perfectionist and eventually decided I'm not a good designer. I had the idea of having it bounce itself if it was blocked and 2 of opponent's creatures if it wasn't, but I couldn't sort out the cost, p/t, or even the balancing of the mechanic itself. In the end, I was too embarrassed to put anything down.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

http://www.neonandshy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:18 pm

Slyphidine wrote:I tried, Mike. I got a little too perfectionist and eventually decided I'm not a good designer. I had the idea of having it bounce itself if it was blocked and 2 of opponent's creatures if it wasn't, but I couldn't sort out the cost, p/t, or even the balancing of the mechanic itself. In the end, I was too embarrassed to put anything down.

Like I said ...

Zuty wrote:6. Lastly, have fun with it. If you think that a card should be a different card type, color, or cost go right ahead. If you would rather see Kyren Sniper as an Enchantment, go right ahead and let's see if it works. Same goes for making Aluren a creature. (Hey, they did it with Vineyard in Future Sight)

You should have seen some of my YFTC edits, they are horrible when I look back at them now and I only won once and it was because the judge liked the flavor text. Here is a link to all the past YFTC winners from the Wizo forums ( http://www.box.net/shared/8c42l8a4ow ) Some of them are good, some of them suck, and some of them are very interesting to say the least.

Come on everyone, give it a try! It's something to do in your free time and anyone can do it!

I'll give Steve the first win since he was the only one that submitted a card, so lets get a new card in here, shall we? And lets get a REALLY bad card, go crazy with this. It doesn't need to be perfect, you can always edit your submission!!!

This weeks card is ...

GREAT WALL

You Fix the Card 186

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  MidniteEffort Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:13 am

let's make a card called "Great Wall" an actual Wall, shall we?

Great Wall
Uncommon 1 (today's rare?)
2W
Creature - Wall
Defender
Creatures with landwalk can be blocked as though they didn't have landwalk.
0/5
MidniteEffort
MidniteEffort

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:15 am

Remember, you have until Friday and I will be closing it early Friday because I won't be home till Monday.
Toss up any idea you have on fixing the card.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  MidniteEffort Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:26 am

yea, this is fun, guys! just try it
MidniteEffort
MidniteEffort

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:45 am

MidniteEffort wrote:yea, this is fun, guys! just try it

Yeah! It's something to do when you are bored at work. Look at the card, think about what makes the card bad, and fix it. Or remake the card entirely.

I've seen people drop the cost by 1 and win and I have seen people change a creature to an enchant, make it a different color, drop the cost, and make it do something else while still remaining in the flavor of the original card.

I've seen people post a YFTC every week and win once (I am one of them) and I have seen people post once and win.
You can always come back and edit it before the deadline; don't try and make this perfect, just fix it the way you feel it should be fixed and make it do what you think it should do.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:32 pm

Thought of this while swimming today:

Great Wall
Uncommon
2W
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have a creature named Righteous Avengers, a creature named Graceful Antelope, a creature named Zodiac Rooster, and a creature named Boggart Arsonists all in play, you win the game.
Little did they know that behind the Great Wall was the Friggin' Awesome Party.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:33 pm

Slyphidine wrote:Thought of this while swimming today:

Great Wall
Uncommon
2W
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have a creature named Righteous Avengers, a creature named Graceful Antelope, a creature named Zodiac Rooster, and a creature named Boggart Arsonists all in play, you win the game.
Little did they know that behind the Great Wall was the Friggin' Awesome Party.

Nice. I knew that there were only 4 cards with Plainswalk, but that still stuns me. So many creatures have other land walks. (I'd say Swamp is the next least next to Plainswalk and Island is the most popular)

Good to see you giving this a try Dan.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:15 pm

In some ways, it's an anti-try since this card could never be printed (its being uncommon is the least of the worries). Maybe I'll feel more inspired next time.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  redxxii Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Here's mine

Great Wall
2W - Creature
Defender
While Great Wall is on the battlefield all other creatures lose Shadow.
0/4

Figured I'd go for something block-y and weird.

redxxii

http://www.mercurialdesign.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:18 am

Sorry for the late replay, was gone from Friday till last night.

Steve's seems like the best choice. Great Wall was before Shadow or those cards Dan posted. Steve's Great Wall also sticks to the ability to stop people from landwalking by to you.

Lets see if I can pick a good cards to fix ....

Lets do something that is very simple and let's see where you guys to take this ...

This weeks card is ...

You Fix the Card 129

Entries close Friday April 2nd!

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 am

I've got it, I've got it!

Viridian Longbow
Uncommon
Equipped creature has "Tap: This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player"
Equip 3

Not buying it... hmmm... how about this!

Shuriken
Uncommon
Equipped creature has "Tap, Unattach Shuriken: Shuriken deals 2 damage to target creature. That creature's controller gains control of Shuriken unless it was unattached from a Ninja."
Equip 2

No way I can lose with these entries!
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:45 am

Slyphidine wrote:I've got it, I've got it!

Viridian Longbow
Uncommon
Equipped creature has "Tap: This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player"
Equip 3

Not buying it... hmmm... how about this!

Shuriken
Uncommon
Equipped creature has "Tap, Unattach Shuriken: Shuriken deals 2 damage to target creature. That creature's controller gains control of Shuriken unless it was unattached from a Ninja."
Equip 2

No way I can lose with these entries!

xD Great entries. I feel like i have seen these somewhere before ...

I think this cards bounce ability could be put to good use and this card could be made A WHOLE LOT better if it had a few things changed around.

Give it a try Dan, you can see why the other two are good, I am sure you can figure out how to make this better (dropping cost, changing damage, changing what it does, changing it's color/type, or whatever you think it may be)

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:10 am

I think my goal is just making it sillier, but:

Razor Boomerang
Uncommon
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has "Tap, Unattach Razor Boomerang: Razor Boomerang deals 2 damage to target creature or player, and 2 damage to the creature it was attached to. That creature cannot be equipped for the rest of the game."
Equip 2
Grok quickly regretted answering the planeswalker's call of "Lend me a hand."
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:17 am

Slyphidine wrote:I think my goal is just making it sillier, but:

Razor Boomerang
Uncommon
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has "Tap, Unattach Razor Boomerang: Razor Boomerang deals 2 damage to target creature or player, and 2 damage to the creature it was attached to. That creature cannot be equipped for the rest of the game."
Equip 2
Grok quickly regretted answering the planeswalker's call of "Lend me a hand."

xD Lol, should call it Goblin Boomerang judging by it's history of doing something like this in other cards.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  MidniteEffort Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:25 am

Razor Boomerang
Artifact - Equipment
Uncommon
Razor Boomerang comes into play attached to a creature you control.
Equipped creature has "2, T, Unattach Razor Boomerang: Razor Boomerang deals 2 damage to target creature or player. Attach Razor Boomerang to an untapped creature you control."
Heads up!

unless you didn't notice, this one has no Equip cost. so you have to have a creature in play when you cast it, and another untapped creature when you activate the ability. otherwise it can't be attached on its own ever again. this can set up for some fun stuff when you get it going. i moved the Equip cost to its activation cost, and it doesn't need to be recast, so really, it's a reduction in overall cost. flavor: you throw this thing, but if you're too exhausted (tapped) to catch it, someone else will have to. and it still comes back to you.
MidniteEffort
MidniteEffort

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:44 am

Sorry for the delay.

I have to give the win to Dan. His flavor is really good on the card and fitting of what it does. I think people would focus more on trying to attach this to a foes creature so they can not longer be equipped. So I really liked that part of it.

Okay, next card. Lets do something newer.

This weeks cards is ...

Mordant Dragon

You Fix the Card 85

Have fun with this and try your best. I wanna see more entries.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  MidniteEffort Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:14 pm

i don't really see anything wrong with this card... it's Timmy filler, but it's not mechanically unsound. i call for a change of card. pick something terrible from Legends or Homelands again.
MidniteEffort
MidniteEffort

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:18 pm

MidniteEffort wrote:i don't really see anything wrong with this card... it's Timmy filler, but it's not mechanically unsound. i call for a change of card. pick something terrible from Legends or Homelands again.

Ugh, I just hate that card. It's just another dragon, just worse ....

Okay, you want crap? I'll give you crap ...

This weeks cards is ...

Sorrow's Path

You Fix the Card 116

enjoi.

~Zuty
Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down