Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 254 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 am
Latest topics
» EDH Regular casual Game
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 am by rock.strongbow

» Places to play EDH in Philly
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 am by rock.strongbow

» Looking to get into Magic
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm by Bigc215

» So when can I play someone?
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 6:32 pm by nick.martin.144734

» Legacy Needs
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyTue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm by Bigc215

» James's No Rare Cube
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyFri May 24, 2013 10:29 am by intrinsic

» Yavimaya Hollow
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 am by idTAPthat

» Alumni of "MtG Sunday" Comic Book Theater on Passyunk Ave.
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 am by idTAPthat

» Ravnica foils needed - have dual lands and more to trade
Thought Hemorrhage EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 am by PatrickR

Thought Hemorrhage

3 posters

Go down

Thought Hemorrhage Empty Thought Hemorrhage

Post  intrinsic Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:29 pm

I dont understand why this card isnt run main deck in Standard.

I was unsure at first if it removes the card named if they DONT have it in hand, but i got confirmation that it does, so what gives?
It seems to me with the dominance of Jund and the typical builds of the current type 2 environment you should rarely guess wrong on the proper card to name.
Jund, you name BBE, or blightning.
Naya, you name BBE or walletslayer or ranger of eos or ajani V? (tough choice there)
Eldrazi you name Eldrazi
RDW... ball lightning? or hells thunder?
Jacerator you name Font
Vamps you name nocturnus
agianst UWx control you might guess wrong, maybe mind spring

Anyway, i havent plyed the format, maybe im missing something besides the fact that a rogue build might have you wasting the card, but then again you still get to see their entire deck!

Someone talk me down from the ledge.

intrinsic

Back to top Go down

Thought Hemorrhage Empty Re: Thought Hemorrhage

Post  Slyphidine Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:09 am

I'm thinking it's probably because the decks would just rather win. If you strip all the BB Elves from a Jund deck, they still can cast all their Broodmate Dragons, Sprouting Thrinax, Bit Blast; and you've essentially used a card slot that doesn't effect the board at all. Additionally, none of those cards you removed from their deck are truly crippling (except maybe Eldrazi Monument, but they can still swarm over with Nissa and friends). Thought Hemorrhage looks like it's awesome to play, but then they just beat you anyway.

That's my 2 cents, not having played with or against it ever.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

http://www.neonandshy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  intrinsic Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:41 pm

but its IN the SB so if you are siding in against something, against which archetype im not sure, then im not understanding why you dont just play the thing is all.

The article you linked kind of confirmed my idea. Into the roil solves some issues the deck has with permanents you cant target with your indeck removal.

So if you were to run Into the Roil with Thought Hem, you could (ideally) effectively bounce EOT, then remove the problem card along with all copies. Seems decent to me.

intrinsic

Back to top Go down

Post  antknee42 Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:23 pm

The real problem lies in that the card does nothing to effect the current board position, which is why it is used almost exclusively against control decks (who don't have any threatening permanents to speak of by turn 4+). It would probably be good against combo decks, if there were one. Also, unless you hit a card in their hand you are paying four mana and a card for 0 net actual gain.

Imagine: You're playing vs. Jund. They played t2 Leech, t3 Thrinax. Even if you are on the play, do you really want to cast TH at that point? Even if you do name BB, and they do have 1, you're still taking 7 to the face next turn and they will still have cards in their hand. You're probably also at 10 or so, and still have to deal with the rest of their deck.

You're playing vs. Eldrazi Green (the deck I played on Saturday). On multiple occasions, I played almost my entire hand by turn 4. What good is TH there?

Vs. Mono Red: Their hand might be close to empty by the time you cast TH. Sure, you might be able to spike an unearth creature (prob the best target), but you need something to stabilize not remove things just in case they draw it.

Against control decks? Yes, pretty good card. Except the mirror, watch out for Swerve!

More later, gotta go teach.

-AA

antknee42

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm

I'd also say that with Into the Roil + Thought Hemmorhage, you're spending 2 cards to get rid of 1 that's actually in play, and any more that currently are not affecting the board. That's really card disadvantage (or card parity if you draw from the roil). Most times, a Terminate would have also taken care of that card in play, the one that's actually affecting you.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  intrinsic Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Well, i guess the way i see it, BBE is not 4 cards, its 8. If you dont counter BBE they have a high chance for a 2 for 1. If you TH their BBE's, which they are guaranteed to run, you effectively have slowed their decks kill speed.

Plus, removing spells effectively thins their deck, giving a greater chance they draw land instead of gas, no?

I'm not saying im RIGHT, im just saying in my mind, its not a crazy stupid idea to try running it in standard.

I think into the roil has a place in the deck anyway, and your article link kind of confirms that. You dont have an answer for Font of Mythos/Howling Mine, Eldrazzi, etc...

intrinsic

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Speaking of Thought Hemmorhage, where did everybody go?
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  intrinsic Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:50 pm

YEAH!
ha, i feel like a spammer when im trying to stir conversation and no one ever responds.
Embarassed

intrinsic

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Actually, I have more of a response about Thought Hemmorhage, but I'd rather tell you in person. I boils down to the same thing about it not affecting the board position, but it involves much more gesticulating.
Slyphidine
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  intrinsic Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:22 pm

we can discuss at length tomorrow then provided i make the train

intrinsic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content