Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 73 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 pm
Latest topics
» EDH Regular casual Game
Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 am by rock.strongbow

» Places to play EDH in Philly
Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 am by rock.strongbow

» Looking to get into Magic
Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm by Bigc215

» So when can I play someone?
Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:32 pm by nick.martin.144734

» Legacy Needs
Tue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm by Bigc215

» James's No Rare Cube
Fri May 24, 2013 10:29 am by intrinsic

» Yavimaya Hollow
Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 am by idTAPthat

» Alumni of "MtG Sunday" Comic Book Theater on Passyunk Ave.
Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 am by idTAPthat

» Ravnica foils needed - have dual lands and more to trade
Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 am by PatrickR

Shameless Plug

Go down

Shameless Plug

Post  Zuty on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:17 pm

I have always wanted to make my own MTG set and I am finally going ahead with the idea, pretty much solo. Help from other players would be awesome, even if its just to mock my card making skills and gramer. (<---Done on porpoise)

The idea of the set is still being set, but I have some cards tossed up here and there so far as well as the tribe breakdowns and some story behind the plane. (albeit, a very crappy summary which I will look back into)

Sorry for the plugging my forum here, but I would like some pros to look over the cards I make. Not trying to grab members from here so we can talk there.

I also have a link in my sig, right above the dancing Toad.

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Re: Shameless Plug

Post  Zuty on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:19 pm

No need to make a new topic for this, but I would like it if a few people looked over my cards on my forum and gave me some feedback. I'll post a few here and if people would be so kind to comment on them to let me know if they are to weak, powerful, boring, shitty, or whatever.

Face Smashing R

Instant

Target blocked or blocking creature gets +1/+0.

Splice onto Green Instant (2) (As you cast a Green Instant spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)

-------------
I've always liked the Splice ability and I would love to bring it back, but in a new way. I don't know how to word it really, but I basically want it to be Splice onto DIFFERENT COLOR THEN THIS CARD CARD TYPE (COSTHERE)

Enraged Hellkite XXRR

Creature - Dragon

~ comes into play with X chain counters. At the end of you turn, remove a chain counter from ~ and put a +1/+1 counter on ~.

As long as ~ has at least 1 chain counter on it, it can not attack, block, has Shroud, and is Indestructible.

When there are no more chain counters on ~, ~Savage X (This creature gains +X/+X while attacking where X is equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on ~. At the beginning of your end step, if this creature didn't attack or come under your control this turn, sacrifice it.) and Flying.

1/1
----------------
Basically, I am trying to have a dragon that is shackled and trying to get free. Each turn it gets a little bit more free and thusly a little bit more stronger. (Swap a chain counter for a +1/+1) I don't want people to try and kill this thing off while it is thrashing about and I don't want people to take a shortcut and remove all the counters and get a fast dragon. So as long as a single chain counter is on it, it can't be touched or touch anything. And when this thing is free, it is PISSED so it gets all Savage (a new ability I made inspired by Mad Dog) I gave it a double X cost in hopes of balancing it better.

Check the forums for more.

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Ancient Wolf Idol GW

Artifact

PLACEHOLDER (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove all COUNTERNAME counters on ~. At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are no COUNTERNAME counters on ~, put a COUNTERNAME counter on ~. As long as ~ has a COUNTERNAME counter on it, it is PLACEHOLDERNAME.)

PLACEHOLDERNAME - ~ is a 3/3 Green and White Wolf artifact creature with first strike.

--------
Trying to figure out a name for this ability. Basically as long as something has a counter on it, it changes into something else. But it turns on and off.

Any suggestions?

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 pm

---

Serene Oops 3G
Legendary Creature - Human

Wither (It deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
{1}, Discard a card at random: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.

0/2

'I don`t believe in perfection. I don`t think there is such a thing. But the energy of wanting things to be great is a perfectionist energy.'

----

Cayennes Nor 8RG
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior

Haste, trample, double strike

{R/G}{R/G}: +2/+2 until end of turn and untap target creature you don't control. That creature blocks this turn if able.

8/9

'THE DAY IS MINE!'

---

Got bored and made these two. Anyone see where I got the inspiration from?

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Zuty wrote:

Cayennes Nor 8RG
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior

Haste, trample, double strike

{R/G}{R/G}: +2/+2 until end of turn and untap target creature you don't control. That creature blocks this turn if able.

8/9

'THE DAY IS MINE!'

This guy's ability is irrelevant, as when you attack for 16 trample damage (8 of which is first strike) from out of nowhere, the last thing you're worried about is an opposing creature. To wait until you can pump him to kill a creature is pure "win more." You should just win.
Slyphidine
Admin

http://www.neonandshy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Slyphidine wrote:This guy's ability is irrelevant, as when you attack for 16 trample damage (8 of which is first strike) from out of nowhere, the last thing you're worried about is an opposing creature. To wait until you can pump him to kill a creature is pure "win more." You should just win.

That's just how Sean Connery rolls.

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:34 am

Mike, have you seen this?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/magicseteditor/

It might just rock your world.
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 am

Slyphidine wrote:Mike, have you seen this?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/magicseteditor/

It might just rock your world.

:O

I have not, thanks Dan. This will get me back in the card making mood. I stopped because no one was showing any interest, but at least with this I can look for images and crank out cards faster.

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:14 am

Here is the first card in the set. Really liked the picture for this when I found it, fits well with the mechanics and the flavor.

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:26 pm

106 cards down so far. Been working a lot on this ever since Dan linked me to that set editor. (thanks again)

It would be awesome if you guy would check out what I have done and give me back feedback. Tell me if something is to good, to weak, if it's a bad set or a good set. Any feedback is good.

Here's a quick taste to showcase the set, full download at the bottom.

Download

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slyphidine on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm

I like the enemy tri-lands. I do hope Wizards prints them someday.

A lot of your bigger cards have a some redundant win conditions in them. Consider this one:

Alyss, Vii'en Magi 3RWU
Whenever you or a creature you control is targeted by a spell, you may change the target of that spell.
Whenever an opponent activates an ability that isn't a mana ability, Alyss, Vii'en Magi deals 1 damage to that player.
4/6

The second ability is redundant. Unless they have a mass sweeper or something in play that can deal with her, they'll lose the game really quickly.

Or:

Bi'Zesoo, Lord of Dreams 4RWU
Legendary Creature - Dragon Angel
Vigilance, Haste
Creatures you control are unblockable when they attack.
If an instant or sorcery source you control would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals that much damage plus 2 to that creature or player instead.
7/7

I'll probably just attack the turn I cast it with all my unblockable creatures and win before I have the opportunity to cast a sorcery or instant, or before I can take advantage of the Vigilance that prevents my opponent from attacking back.

There are also some balance issues:

Command of Mist UU
Enchantment
2: Return target creature to its owner's hand.
Uncommon (!!!!!)

That's an investment of 4 mana to bounce a creature, 6 to bounce 2, 8 to bounce 3. And it goes beyond the end of the turn. Compare to Capsize which is one of the most abusable bounce spells that can bounce permanents at instant speed for 6 mana reusably. This card is waaaay broken.

On the other hand, there's Lotus Signet, a card that's at least overcosted by 1 (compare to Darksteel Ingot, Spectral Searchlight, or Coalition Relic).

Some of your color pie is out of character. You have green and black countering spells, white drawing cards (with no real drawback) and red with the "ballista/archer" mechanic (Ballista-Beast). With a card like As'tos Assassin, it's unclear which color the abilities are coming from:

As'tos Assassin GUB
Creature - Human Assassin
Deathtouch, First Strike
2/4

I do think there's material to be mined from the enemy tricolors (Planar Chaos Dragon Legend colors), but it needs to be more in the context of what the colors do.

Keep trying. It is really hard to create a set. I do know you have to have a really strong knowledge of what cards already exist (for context of costs) and the potential effect on the environment (for balance), as well as creativity to come up with something that hasn't been done yet. Not easy by any means.

And glad to see you're having fun with MSE... it really is remarkable.
Slyphidine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback Dan Very Happy

Slyphidine wrote:A lot of your bigger cards have a some redundant win conditions in them. Consider this one:

Alyss, Vii'en Magi 3RWU
Whenever you or a creature you control is targeted by a spell, you may change the target of that spell.
Whenever an opponent activates an ability that isn't a mana ability, Alyss, Vii'en Magi deals 1 damage to that player.
4/6

The second ability is redundant. Unless they have a mass sweeper or something in play that can deal with her, they'll lose the game really quickly.

Or:

Bi'Zesoo, Lord of Dreams 4RWU
Legendary Creature - Dragon Angel
Vigilance, Haste
Creatures you control are unblockable when they attack.
If an instant or sorcery source you control would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals that much damage plus 2 to that creature or player instead.
7/7

I'll probably just attack the turn I cast it with all my unblockable creatures and win before I have the opportunity to cast a sorcery or instant, or before I can take advantage of the Vigilance that prevents my opponent from attacking back.

I see what you mean. I'll need to go over them again, I am most just slapping down stuff as I go to toss the idea around, but I can see how in late game you don't need a Burning-Tree Shaman ability or Pyromancer's Swath.

There are also some balance issues:

Command of Mist UU
Enchantment
2: Return target creature to its owner's hand.
Uncommon (!!!!!)

That's an investment of 4 mana to bounce a creature, 6 to bounce 2, 8 to bounce 3. And it goes beyond the end of the turn. Compare to Capsize which is one of the most abusable bounce spells that can bounce permanents at instant speed for 6 mana reusably. This card is waaaay broken.

On the other hand, there's Lotus Signet, a card that's at least overcosted by 1 (compare to Darksteel Ingot, Spectral Searchlight, or Coalition Relic).

My bad on the Mist one, that's suppose to be bounce, but the player can pay (1) to stop it. That still to good? I was looking at Rhystic Deluge mostly for this thing and forgot the 'Unless' part.

Some of your color pie is out of character. You have green and black countering spells, white drawing cards (with no real drawback) and red with the "ballista/archer" mechanic (Ballista-Beast). With a card like As'tos Assassin, it's unclear which color the abilities are coming from:

As'tos Assassin GUB
Creature - Human Assassin
Deathtouch, First Strike
2/4

I do think there's material to be mined from the enemy tricolors (Planar Chaos Dragon Legend colors), but it needs to be more in the context of what the colors do.

Yeah, I need to evaluate the colors more then the tribes I have set up.

The tribes are:

Green/Red/Blue : Ra'Znar [Raa-Zuh-Nar] (Tame wild beats and experiment on them to make them better they seek knowledge for bettering their strength and weapons)

White/Red/Black : Ve'or [Vee-Oar](Vampire and Werewolves, but with order and structure while still being wild from time to time)

Green/Black/Blue : As'tos [Az-toes] (Cunning and stealthy scouts that use the power of nature to bring back fallen titans and heroes through the power of black magic, they steal information for the highest bidder)

Green/White/Black : Astivar [Az-Ti-Var] (Rebuilding the forest and resurrecting Mother nature, but doing so in their own image and to their own advantage)

Red/Blue/White : Vii'en [Vuh-Eye-En] (The wise ones, the sages and scholors of this plane. They create technology to better the plane and it's inhabitants, doing things like clockwork. Chaotic, but there is a method to their madness)

Keep trying. It is really hard to create a set. I do know you have to have a really strong knowledge of what cards already exist (for context of costs) and the potential effect on the environment (for balance), as well as creativity to come up with something that hasn't been done yet. Not easy by any means.

And glad to see you're having fun with MSE... it really is remarkable.

Thanks, I will continue to push this along. I really want to get this done. I have plans in the future to make my own TCG and I think it would be best if I start off making custom MTG sets just so I get balancing game mechanics under my belt.

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Looked over the color pie and I redid the objectives of the tribes so I can better make cards that reflect what they are doing. I also dropped Command of Mist to U making it like Unsummon (Instant now, not Chant) with a Shift cost of RWU to bounce two instead as well as giving As'tos Assassin Shroud instead of First Strike and GB: Regen. I think this better matches what I want the Tribes to act like.

Let me know if this looks good and fits the colors better.

Tribe Breakdown-

Green/Red/Blue : Ra'Znar [Raa-Zuh-Nar] (Tame wild beats and experiment on them to make them better they seek knowledge for bettering their strength and weapons)

Lets make these beasts better (Green), lets get creative and learn (Blue), lets go wild with our imagination (Red)

White/Red/Black : Ve'or [Vee-Oar](Vampire and Werewolves, but with order and structure while still being wild from time to time)

Lets rebuild and bring order (White), We are so awesome and so much better then anyone else (Black), Anyone opposes us, kill them (Red)

Green/Black/Blue : As'tos [Az-toes] (Cunning and stealthy scouts that use the power of nature to bring back fallen titans and heroes through the power of black magic, they steal information for the highest bidder)

Lets survive at all costs (Green), Lets be the best at what we do (Black), We will know everything (Blue)

Green/White/Black : Astivar [Az-Ti-Var] (Rebuilding the forest and resurrecting Mother nature, but doing so in their own image and to their own advantage)

Lets get back to nature (Green), lets rebuild what was one great (White), lets shape it to our own will (Black)

Blue/Red/White : Vii'en [Vuh-Eye-En] (The wise ones, the sages and scholors of this plane. They create technology to better the plane and it's inhabitants, doing things like clockwork. Chaotic, but there is a method to their madness)

Lets learn everything we can to (Blue), I want to know NOW (Red), From what we learn lets rebuild (White)

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 am

I decided to change the entire storyline. It will still be the same, but just following a different storyline.

~Zuty

EDIT: Here are all the new changes. Going to go back and reedit the entire set to reflect these changes.

MTG Set - Mytheria (Name of the Plane)

QUICK SUMMARY:

CHANGED!!!

Mytheria was a plane created by several unknown planeswalkers to house beings from all across the multiverse. The planeswalkers were attempting to have the enemy tribes band together into one tribe as they examined the results. Picked from their worlds, the new inhabitants of Mytheria are beginning to build their nations, while making peace with their new tribe members and waging war against new found foes.

Mytheria is a collection of worlds, tribes, and eras. Friends become foes and vice versa on this plane. While some build kingdoms and attempt to preserve peace, others ravage the land and cause chaos. What will the outcome of this new world?

White: Trying to preserve peace
Black: Want to be in-charge
Blue: Knowledge Seekers and tinkers
Green: Expanding the forests and trying to reconnect to mother nature
Red: Taming beasts to use to help build their cities or for war

COLOR PIE--

White : Order / Morality (Manners) | Peace / Law
Black : Selfishness Above all else / at the expence of others | Paranoia / Omnipotence (Unlimited power)
Blue : Logic / Technology | Omniscience (Know everything) / Intellect
Green : Instinct / Survival | Growth / Nature
Red : Chaos / Impulse | Freedom / Action

CARD BREAK DOWN:

SET ONE: VANILLA (250 TOTAL) (105 Common 65 Uncommon 50 Rare 10 Mythic 20 Lands)

SET TWO: CHOCOLATE (150 TOTAL) (60 Common 40 Uncommon 40 Rare 10 Mythic)

SET THREE: STRAWBERRY (150 TOTAL) (60 Common 40 Uncommon 30 Rare 20 Mythic)

Tribe Breakdown-

Lets make these beasts better (Green), lets get creative and learn (Blue), lets go wild with our imagination (Red)

Lets build cities and bring order (White), We are so much better than everyone else (Black), Anyone opposes us, kill them (Red)

Lets survive at all costs (Green), Lets be the best at what we do (Black), We will know everything (Blue)

Lets reconnect with nature (Green), lets rebuild what was one great (White), lets shape the world to our own will and destroy all in our wake (Black)

Blue/Red/White : Vii'en [Vuh-Eye-En] (The wise ones, the sages and scholors of this plane. They create technology to better the plane and it's inhabitants, doing things like clockwork. Chaotic, but there is a method to their madness)

Lets learn everything we can (Blue), Throw caution to the wind and explore the dangers of this new world (Red), From what we learn lets build a bigger, better nation (White)

New Mechanics:

Savage X (This creature gains +X/+X while attacking. At the beginning of your end step, if this creature didn't attack or come under your control this turn, sacrifice it.)

Recycle (MANASYMBOL) (Exile this card from your graveyard: Add MANASYMBOL to your mana pool.)

Shift X (You may play this spell for it's Deviation cost rather then its mana cost.)

Redoubt (This creature assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.)

Old Mechanics:

Madness
Flashback
Splice
Threshold
Cycling
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuty on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 pm

After watching several episodes of The Magic Show on Youtube (Thank you again for directing me to this Steve) I started to watch some interviews from set developers; I literally took notes from what they were saying and I hope I can better my set because of it.

The main focus of the set is making enemy colors work. I want the entire set to be multicolored with the acception of artifacts and 10-15 monocolored cards that will have alternative costs that make them multicolored.

That means the set mechanic Shift will be pretty common in this set. Now, for anyone who hasn't looked at my cards or set info yet, Shift is a mechanic I made as an alternative way to cast a spell while also changing the color of the spell.

For example:

SPELLNAME
Cost: W
TYPE
DOES SOMETHING.
If you paid the Shift cost DO THIS INSTEAD.
Shift G

So you can cast this spell for W meaning it is a white spell, or you can play it for G meaning while you cast it it is a green spell. But what if it were a creature?

CREATUREGUY
Cost: B
CREATURE
BLAHBLAHBLAH.
Shift W
1/1

So if you pay B, its cast a black spell and is treated as a black permanent. If you pay the Shift cost, it comes in as a white spell but stays black once it resolves.

I invented this as a way to get around 'Protection COLOR' stuff at first, but then I kind of did what Alara did with the Cycling with a higher cost then the cards normal cost to do something extra.

The other mechanic I have was inspired by Elvish/Simian Spirit Guide and it's called : Recycle.

Pretty simple, while this card is in your discard you can exile it from your GY to add mana to your mana pool. So it's the GY version of the Spirit Guides, but it's the same idea. It's mostly on artifacts which would provide colorless mana, but I will sprinkle it on a few colored cards also.

Savage is another ability I thought of after looking through my old cards and stumbling across Mad Dog. It's an almost forced to attack each turn, but if something stops you (Pacifism or just choosing not to attack) you have to sac it. When it does attack it gets a boost while it is attacking of +X/+X where X is the rank of Savage.

The last mechanic is Redoubt. Now this is something still new that I am working with, but I basically stole the idea from Doran, the Siege Tower. Rather then hit with power, creatures with Redoubt hit with their toughness.

SPIKYTURTLEGUY
Cost: 1UU
CREATURE
Redoubt
0/3

So it's a 0/3 creature for 3, but when it attacks or blocks it becomes a 3/3 (essentially). It gets around -X/-0 spells/abilities too, so hopefully I can find a place to squeeze this into.

So I have a lot planned for this set and I am going to be working hard on it.

~Zuty
Zuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down